Perth History

The Little Sisters arrived in Perth in 1920.  They took possession of two cottages in Adelaide Terrace and set to work to make it habitable for the elderly.  The Sisters of Mercy assisted them and gave them meals.  Painters and plumbers came and set to work.
Once the Sisters procured some beds, they were able to live in the house.  Gifts of furniture then began to arrive.  The Rev. Fr. Treacy, C.Ss.R, Rector of the Redemptorist Monastery was one of the first to come and wish the community welcome.  He brought with him, a large crucifix, a picture of Our Lady, a sewing machine and provisions for the kitchen.


The next arrival was the first elderly gentleman, in great need.  The work in Perth had begun!  The Providence of God was bountiful. People brought all sorts of gifts.  The number of elderly people in need increased daily, filling the house to capacity.  With thirty-three residents, it was obvious, once again, that a larger building was necessary.  Archbishop Clune gave the Sisters a gift of 50 acres of land near Lake Monger on which stood a building known as St. Kevin’'s industrial School for Boys.  This school, founded in 1897, belonged to the Oblate Fathers.


On August 4th, 1921, the Sisters began packing to move to their more spacious Home at Glendalough.  The St. Vincent de Paul Society helped to transport the thirty-three elderly people and paid for the removal of the furniture.Again, extensions were made over the years.  In 1970 a modern hostel for ladies was completed.  This was a followed by a complex to accommodate elderly married couples, then a section for retired priests of the Archdiocese.  In 1981, hostel accommodation with ensuites was built for men.  A new 40 bed Nursing Home, Day Centre and physiotherapy centre was then completed.


By 2017 it was time to again update to meet modern day needs and a new Home was constructed.The new Glendalough Home was ready for occupancy from 24th July, 2019. This Home features a purpose-built modern facility with exceptional features such as a street scape -where rooms open up to a corridor similar to a street complete with gardens, benches and street lights. Residents can enjoy the newly landscaped gardens and courtyards that surround the Home providing  pleasant outdoor areas including a large barbeque gathering area that families are welcome to use.


Today, the charism of St. Jeanne Jugan continues and the Sisters are well supported by a dedicated team of staff, volunteers and Association Jeanne Jugan Members, who all strive to continue the mission of Saint Jeanne Jugan.

Our Mission is to offer the neediest elderly of every race and religion a home where they will be welcomed as Christ, cared for as family and accompanied with dignity until God calls them to himself.

We adhere at all times to the Philosophy, Ethics and Moral Law of the Catholic Church, from whom the Congregation has received its mission.

Write to us

Copyright 2020 - Little Sisters of the Poor Oceania

entering-new-home-005_orig